Saturday, November 17, 2012

Soup Weather

It's been raining all day. 

It's dark, gloomy, and on the cool side.

It's a perfect day for some soup.

The hubby wanted me to make chicken tortilla soup, but I didn't have a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes, cream, or avocados.  To make it, I would have had to change out of pajamas and face the rain.  I opted to talk him into plain chicken soup instead.

To start, I boiled 4 chicken breasts (all I had but bone in chicken would be wonderful here), in a large pot, seasoned with salt and garlic powder for 30 minutes.

I'm a big fan of clean broth so once the chicken was done, I transferred the breasts into a bowl for shredding (covered with broth so the chicken wouldn't harden) and I then strained the remaining broth into a smaller pot.

I brought the broth back up to a boil and then I added: potatoes (peeled and diced), carrots (peeled and diced), celery (diced), a chunk of onion (for flavor and was removed after the soup was done) and a cube of cilantro.  I made sure to season (salt and pepper) the potatoes and carrots before adding them to the broth.  I let everything come up to a boil for about 10 minutes.

I was originally going to shred the chicken, but decided that big, diced, chunks of chicken would be better and added it to the soup.  I let it continue to cook about 15 minutes until the vegetables were fork tender.

While the soup cooked, the hubby was nice enough to make a cup of red rice for me.  Recipe to follow in another post.

We topped it off with some Cholula for a kick.


It was a great choice for a not so great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment